Modern & Contemporary Trends in Home Windows
If you live in a contemporary home with modern architecture, you might be wondering what windows to install to accentuate this style. By exploring the latest in modern/contemporary trends, you can find windows with the perfect styling for your home.
Contemporary Window Trends
As you shop for windows to complement your home’s modern architecture, consider these contemporary design features:
- Less is more: Modern homes feature fewer windows in larger sizes. The idea is to provide an excellent view of the exterior without any superfluous elements getting in the way. In fact, a minimalist design eliminates all decorations that don’t serve a specific purpose.
- Thin, clean sight lines: Modern window frames are typically thin and unadorned with flat, narrow profiles. They often sit side by side, interrupted by nothing more than a slim mullion between them. The panes themselves are usually unobstructed by grilles or muntin bars, offering maximum visibility of the exterior and the greatest amount of natural light.
- Angular hardware: The contemporary style is all about geometric shapes and sharp, angular lines. Modern windows fit this description in every way, including the hardware. There’s a no-fuss look to modern hardware that makes it appear clean and sophisticated. Rather than fluid lines and scroll details, contemporary window hardware is simple and squared off. It’s also often flush-mounted to hide it from view, making the window appear as streamlined as possible.
- Pivoting operating styles: Modern homes most often feature windows that pivot on hinges located on the top or side of the window, including casement windows and awning windows. These maintain a clean appearance whether open or closed and provide ease of use and excellent ventilation capabilities. Picture windows in custom geometric shapes are also common on window walls. They don’t operate, but they offer expansive views of the exterior, a common trend in contemporary homes.
- Aluminum frames: Aluminum is the most common material used in contemporary window frames. The clean, smooth surface lends itself to a very modern appearance. Don’t worry—even though aluminum is a conductor, windows made from this material can still be very energy efficient if they feature the proper insulation and warm edge spaces.
- Contemporary colors: Not all Modern jobs will you find natural wood finishes in contemporary windows.
How to Incorporate Modern Windows into a Contemporary Design Scheme
Choosing the right windows is just the beginning. Then, you need to install and dress them appropriately to make sure they convey the modern look you want. Here’s what to do:
- Install grand “window walls”: Glass and metal are fundamental materials used in modern designs, so show them off with entire walls covered in aluminum-framed windows. Be sure to select energy-efficient windows for this application to keep your heating and cooling bills down.
- Choose corner windows: These create the impression that the entire room is made of glass. By opening up the corner to the outside, you enjoy panoramic views with fewer sightline interruptions.
- Use sleek window coverings: Flowing drapes and outdated Venetian blinds don’t fit with a modern design scheme. When you need darkness or privacy, cover your windows with mesh shades or blackout screens.
Weather Shield Contemporary Collection
Modern/Contemporary Window & Door Installation in DC, MD & VA
At Quality Window & Door, we’ve been installing new and replacement windows in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia since 1989. In recent years, we’ve seen a surge in popularity for modern and contemporary trends. There are many ways to incorporate this style into your home, including making sure you choose the right windows.
If you think Weather Shield’s Contemporary Collection could be right for you, come view these windows in person at one of our local showrooms in Maryland and Northern Virginia. There, you can speak with a contemporary design expert who will explain the features of different products to you. We strive to educate our customers, not pressure them with hard selling tactics, so you can rest assured that with our help, you’ll purchase the right windows for your home.
To learn more about our selection of modern/contemporary windows, please visit us today or contact us at 800-370-8751 to speak with one of our expert designers!
“People that I can trust”
When it comes to the Quality Window & Door experience, sometimes it’s best to let our happy customers do the talking.