Looking for trendy windows to incorporate in your Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, DC home? Consider the benefits of pass through window installation. If you love entertaining guests, this could be the perfect choice. Learn more about this unique type of window, and then contact Quality Window & Door for an installation estimate.
What Are Pass Through Windows?
A pass through window allows you to hand food, drinks, or other items from one area to another. There’s usually an elongated sill on both sides of the window to act as a counter or tabletop. Think of the service window at a drive-through or pharmacy, and you have an idea of what a pass through window looks like.
There are many different styles to choose from that might suit your needs best, including:
- Folding windows: Similar to bi-fold patio doors, folding windows open like an accordion to maximize the full width. They may open on one side or in the middle, depending on the design.
- Garage-style windows: Canopy garage doors open by pivoting out and up. This is the operating method of garage-style windows. The design requires ample overhead space, so keep this in mind when choosing pass through windows for your home.
- Rolling windows: This style is more like a window-sized door. Rolling windows are made of corrugated steel that coils upward on a spindle. You can find rolling windows that operate with a motor or by hand.
- Sliding windows: These are the same as regular sliding windows, except they have an oversized sill to set food and drinks on.
- Hinged windows: Similar to casement windows, hinged windows swing outward. However, they operate by simply pushing the window open rather than by turning a crank. Hinged pass through windows often come in pairs.
Ways to Use Pass Through Windows
These windows were originally designed to help cooks and butlers deliver food to other rooms in the house without walking as far. While you can still connect your kitchen and dining room this way, there’s an even more popular option these days: connect the kitchen to the backyard. This is especially beneficial if you do a lot of outdoor entertaining in the summer.
Here are some ideas for putting pass through windows to good use:
- Outdoor bar: Pull stools up to the counter to create a fun, restaurant-style outdoor bar. Ordering more drinks from the kitchen has never been easier!
- Serving station: Avoid carrying armloads of drinks and platters of hot food outside with a pass through window acting as a serving station.
- Indoor/outdoor kitchen: Build an outdoor kitchen just beyond your indoor kitchen and connect the two with a pass through window. This makes it easy to hand supplies and ingredients from one kitchen to the other, creating a seamless indoor/outdoor cooking experience.
Choose Quality Window & Door for Pass Through Window Installation in DC, MD & VA
Installing a pass through window could provide the connection you’ve always wanted between your indoor and outdoor living spaces. Quality Window & Door is your source for custom pass through windows in the DC, MD, and VA areas. We take an educational sales approach to ensure you understand all your options so you can make the best choice. Remember, we’ll never pressure you into making a purchase.
To learn more about pass through windows, visit one of our local showrooms in Maryland and Northern Virginia and speak with our window experts there. Then, when you’re ready to get your project started, call Quality Window & Door at 800-370-8751 or contact us online to schedule a free in-home consultation and estimate.
Weather Shield Project Portfolio
Design Flexibility from Weather Shield Windows & Doors
Watch this video to see the versatility that comes with Weather Shield products and lines.