The Ultimate Guide to Patio Doors
Is it finally time to replace your old, energy inefficient patio doors? Before you begin, it’s important to do you research to determine the best door solution for you. That’s where we come in. At Quality Window & Door, we strive to provide an educational approach to window and door shopping. Below, we outlined a guide for selecting the perfect patio doors for you.
Have questions? Give us a call at 800-370-8751 today!
Types of Patio Doors
When it comes to replacement patio door styles, you have a number of options. From lift and slide doors to bi-fold doors to hinged doors to sliding doors, your patio door replacement options are anything but limited. The three main types of patio doors commonly found in the DC metro area are:
Swinging Patio Doors
Swinging (or hinged) doors are great for not just patios but verandas and porches too. French doors are a popular style for these types of patio doors, as when both doors are open, the entire area between the doors is clear. If you have a beautiful patio view or have a backyard feature you want to emphasize, French style swinging patio doors can seamlessly showcase it.
Bi-Fold Patio Doors
Another viable option for your patio door replacement is a bi-fold door, which is modern, low-maintenance, energy efficient, and helps save space! They operate accordion style and are available in customizable configurations—from two to eight panels that neatly slide and fold away for full access.
Sliding Glass Patio Doors
The ultimate patio door—the one that also probably comes to your mind when you think of patio doors—is a sliding glass door. They require less space than swinging patio doors and provide an unobstructed view. They let in the most natural light of all your door options and are very easy to maintain.
Once you select the shape and style of your new patio doors, you’ll then need to select the material. It can seem like endless possibilities, from fiberglass to steel and wood to vinyl, but the choice can be easy when you consider each material’s benefits and what is important to you and your family. Here are the most popular patio door construction materials for the Maryland, DC, and Virginia area—and what makes them a great choice for you:
- Fiberglass – Fiberglass patio doors have the look and feel of wood doors, but will withstand extreme changes in weather and moisture, so they are a great energy efficient and long-lasting choice for the sometimes volatile weather known to this area.
- Wood – For homeowners wanting the rich, beautiful appeal of real wood, there’s a large selection in type of wood—from grain, color, and species.
- Aluminum – Aluminum patio doors are equally lightweight and strong. It’s also a great cost effective choice compared to true wood patio doors.
- Vinyl – Usually the most cost effective choice for patio doors, this material will never fade in color, flake, peel, or rot. It’s known for its durability and energy efficiency.
- Clad – Clad wood patio doors can give you the best of both worlds: energy efficiency and durability of fiberglass, aluminum, or vinyl on the outside where your doors will face the elements and beautiful wood on the inside for your family and guests to remark in its beauty.
Top Patio Door Manufacturers
Once you’ve determined the best style and material for your replacement patio doors, you can then consider which manufacturer your new doors will be from. Top brands, with high quality construction and great warranties, include:
- Weather Shield
- Ply Gem
Patio Door Replacement & Installation in DC, MD & VA
If you’re ready to replace your existing patio doors—whether they are outdated, poor in terms of energy efficiency, or not functioning properly, call the experts at Quality Window & Door. Our knowledgeable team has been installing high quality patio doors throughout DC, MD, and VA since 1989. Our replacement patio door selection is extensive, with every type of door style and material from a variety of top manufacturers. No matter what you’re looking for, call us today to schedule a free consultation: 800-370-8751.
Weather Shield Project Portfolio
Design Flexibility from Weather Shield Windows & Doors
Watch this video to see the versatility that comes with Weather Shield products and lines.