Horizontal Slider vs. Single/Double Hung Windows
If you’re in the market for new or replacement windows, you have many styles to choose from. Two popular options are horizontal slider windows and single or double hung windows. If you’re not sure which of these two styles is best for you, consider the features and benefits of each to help you decide.
Features of Horizontal Slider Windows
Also simply called sliding windows, this option opens horizontally along a track in the window frame. These windows tend to be twice the size of single or double hung windows, and may or may not feature muntins to divide the panes. In modern windows, muntins are set between two panes of glass to give the appearance of a divided pane without sacrificing efficiency.
Benefits of Horizontal Slider Windows
- Larger window: Sliding windows let you take in a more expansive view thanks to their larger size. This also allows more natural light to enter the room. Larger windows also open wider, maximizing natural ventilation when you need it. The average sliding window is large enough to fit a box fan so you can really get the air moving.
- Better efficiency: With their basic functionality and fewer moving parts, horizontal slider windows tend to boast higher efficiency ratings than the average double hung window. The tight seal of a sliding window helps keep extreme temperatures out for a more comfortable interior.
- Easy to clean: When it’s time to clean the outside of your second-story sliding windows, the operable pane pops out easily to simplify this task. No more need to hire professional window washers!
Features of Single and Double Hung Windows
Both single and double hung windows operate by sliding vertically. Single hung windows have a fixed upper sash and operable lower sash. Double hung windows feature two operable sashes for greater versatility. Some double hung windows have a full screen while others require you to adjust the position of a half-screen depending on how you open the window.
Benefits of Single and Double Hung Windows
- Excellent versatility: If you have plans for a whole wall of windows, or an architecturally intriguing bay window, single or double hung windows are a good choice. They work well lined up in a row, where you can maximize views of the outdoors and increase ventilation.
- Great for children’s bedrooms: For ventilating your child’s room, a double hung window is a safe choice because you can lock the lower sash and open the upper sash. This way, you invite a cool breeze to enter without risking the possibility of your child climbing out the window.
- Air conditioner friendly: Sliding windows may be able to house box fans, but installing a window A/C is effortless with single and double hung windows. Simply open the lower sash, set the A/C in place, extend the wings to the left and right, and lower the upper sash tightly against the unit. To install window air conditioners in sliding windows, you need a perfectly sized piece of Plexiglas to fill the void above the unit.
- Easy to clean: If the ability to easily clean your windows is a priority, look for single and double hung windows that feature tilt-in sashes. This prevents the need to hire a professional window washer, even for upper story windows.
Both of these window styles have benefits you’re sure to enjoy in your home. For more information about horizontal sliders and single and double hung windows, please contact Quality Window & Door today. We offer free consultations to help you better understand your options and make sure your project gets started on the right foot.
Featured Windows from Weather Shield
Quality Window & Door is a Weather Shield dealer and local supplier of windows and doors from the leading manufacturer.
About The Brand
Below, we’ve provided a summary of Weather Shield’s collection of windows and doors, but if you have any questions about the best windows for your home or next project, give our experienced and knowledgeable staff a call at 800-370-8751!
Manufacturer: Weather Shield Windows & Doors
Location: Medford, Wisconsin
Manufactured in: United States of America
From the Brand: “As pioneers in the window and door industry, Weather Shield continually listens to the needs of the industry. The result is ongoing research and development of highly innovative, top performing, and beautifully crafted windows and doors.”
Quality Window & Door is a leading dealer of Weather Shield Products in the DC metropolitan area.
“A service unmatched by anyone”
When it comes to the Quality Window & Door experience, sometimes it’s best to let our happy customers do the talking.