Are Triple-Pane Windows Worth It?
When looking to replace your windows or to furnish a new home with the right set of windows, you’ll likely come across a very common and pressing question: should you install double-pane or triple-pane windows? It’s an important question to ask, as it has bearing on the efficiency of your windows and the overall value of your investment as a whole.
What Are Double & Triple-Pane Windows?
First, a quick primer on what these types of windows actually are, and why they’re an important part of improving comfort and efficiency. Double- and triple-pane windows are what the industry calls IGUs, or Insulated Glass Units.
Rather than a single glass pane, these feature one or two extra panes, each holding an inert or noble gas sealed between them (most typically argon). This gas acts as a strong barrier against heat gain and heat loss, reducing the amount of air that flows between indoors and outdoors, and thus preserving the comfort level in your home.
What Are the Benefits of Triple-Pane Windows?
The idea regarding triple-paned windows is a simple one: one more layer of insulation, one more barrier for heat loss and heat gain, thus making them more efficient. The benefits of this are actually many, including:
- Superior energy-efficiency. When it comes to keeping heating and cooling costs to a minimum, a triple pane window will offer the most savings. Whether or not this savings will be enough to justify the additional cost of the window is the real question, and we’ll get to that shortly.
- Defense against indoor condensation. Because of the added barrier against temperature variance, a triple-pane window will reduce the risks of condensation forming on the inside of your home, helping to protect against damage to the frame and surrounding walls.
- Additional soundproofing. As with any kind of insulation, soundproofing is also a noteworthy benefit to adding more. Triple-pane windows are excellent at reducing noise in busier residential or commercial areas.
Are Triple-Pane Windows Worth It?
Looking at the information we have here, it is easy to say that triple-pane windows are the strongest option overall when it comes to efficiency, soundproofing, and longevity. However, it’s also worth noting that a triple-pane window is considerably more expensive than a double-pane window, and so the question becomes less “is it better?” and more “is it worth it for me and my home specifically?”
The answer to this will vary. There are two particularly important things to note about choosing triple-pane windows:
- The colder the climate, the more a triple-pane window will show its value. If your winters are milder, the cost of a triple-pane window might not be justifiable.
- The longer you plan to live in your home, the more triple-pane windows become worthwhile. One of the big “selling” points that is brought up consistently about triple-pane windows is that they will lower your energy costs. However, in a normal climate, this savings is going to translate to roughly 2-3% a year—an amount that will take some years to justify the higher cost of the window.
Choose the Right Window Company to Make the Right Call
In order to find out which option works best for you and your needs, it is imperative that you choose a company that is interested in helping you—not just selling to you. Looking for professionals that can help you decide? Contact Quality Window & Door! Our goal is always to help clients make the right choice for them.
Window & Door Replacement Services
There’s a reason we’re called Quality Window & Door.
Our team would love to help you transform your home and add value to it for years to come.