Window Replacement Experts in MD, DC & VA
Are you looking for ways to make your DC metro area home safer against break-ins? One practical option is to install windows with security glass. At Quality Window & Door, we carry high-performance security glass products from various manufacturers. To learn more about our selection, please call us at 800-370-8751.
What Is Security Glass?
There are different types of security glass—also called laminated or impact-resistant glass—but they all share the same basic construction. Two or more sheets of heat-strengthened or tempered glass are bonded together with an interlayer of polyvinyl butyral (PVB). This laminating material prevents impacts from a burglar’s hammer or crowbar from breaking the glass. This makes your windows incredibly strong, so they become an asset, not a weak point, in your home’s security measures.
Benefits of Security Glass
If you’re not sure whether security glass is worth it, consider all the benefits it offers:
- Increased home security: The main reason to install security glass is to deter burglars. The most durable type of security glass is so strong that many prisons now use it as a replacement for traditional bars to create a more humane environment.
- Improved safety: When ordinary glass breaks, it shatters into long, dangerous shards that can cause injuries. But if security glass is impacted by a thrown brick or flying rock, the PVB interlayer absorbs the energy and prevents the window from shattering. Small fragments may break off, but these tiny pebbles of glass are much safer than long, jagged shards.
- Protection in bad weather: Security glass doubles as protection against severe weather, including hurricanes. Hail and high winds are no match for security glass, and even if large debris smashes into the window during a tornado, it’s very unlikely the glass will break.
- Better sound insulation: Sound-reducing interlayers are available to help slow the transmission of sound through the window. This surprising benefit of security glass makes outdoor noise less noticeable in your home, so loud traffic and neighborhood kids aren’t a distraction.
- UV control: The interlayer used in security glass can be treated with UV-absorbing additives to screen out these damaging rays from the sun. The result is lower interior heat gain and less color fading from your carpet and furniture.
With all these features of security glass, it’s clear you can enjoy the same benefits as today’s high-efficiency windows with the added safety and protection of a laminating interlayer between the panes.
Our Security Glass Products
We carry impact-resistant security glass from several of today’s leading window manufacturers, including:
- Weather Shield
- Ply Gem
- And More!
To learn more about our selection of security glass, please stop by one of our local showrooms in Maryland and Northern Virginia, or give us a call today at 800-370-8751 and speak with one of our window replacement experts!
Why Choose Quality Window & Door for Security Glass with Your Window Replacement Project?
As a non-proprietary window and door retailer, we offer the best products from several manufacturers. This ensures you have a wide selection of impact-resistant windows to choose from for your home security needs.
Our approach is also vastly different from other window contractors in DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. Instead of employing high-pressure sales tactics to move a particular brand, we take an educational approach, allowing you to compare all your options so you can make the very best choice.
We believe the more you know about security glass, the more likely you are to purchase your windows from Quality Window & Door. Our selection is second to none, and we guarantee your satisfaction! To request a free installation estimate for window replacement with security glass, please contact us online today.
Weather Shield Project Portfolio
Design Flexibility from Weather Shield Windows & Doors
Watch this video to see the versatility that comes with Weather Shield products and lines.