How to Choose the Right Windows for Your New Home in DC, MD, and VA
Whether you’re building a new house or purchasing an existing home in DC, MD, or VA, you need high-quality windows to help ensure comfort, a bright interior, and energy-efficiency. The tricky part is narrowing down your options to find what will work best for your needs. Use this guide to begin the process of shopping for new windows.
When you’re ready to get started, contact Quality Window & Door for window installation in DC, MD, & VA!
Choose a Window Style
Different operating styles work better in certain areas than others. Here are some of your top options to consider:
- Double-hung windows are a traditional style that works in most circumstances, especially on narrow walls and in kids’ rooms.
- Sliding windows offer expansive views, making them appropriate for living rooms and dining rooms.
- Casement windows are easy to open with a crank, so they’re ideal for behind sofas and kitchen counters.
- Awning windows are often installed high on the wall in bathrooms and walk-in closets for light and ventilation without compromising privacy.
- Picture windows don’t open, so they’re purely for allowing in natural light and providing a view.
Choose a Window Material
The frame material affects a window’s appearance, longevity, and maintenance requirements. Here’s a look at the most common window materials available:
- Vinyl windows are affordable, energy-efficient, and virtually maintenance-free, but they’re not as strong as fiberglass and don’t take paint well.
- Fiberglass windows are durable, efficient, and low-maintenance, but they’re more costly than vinyl windows.
- Wood windows are elegant, warm, and timeless, but they are the most expensive frame option and require the most upkeep.
- CompositWood windows provide the look and feel of wood without the maintenance, but they cost more than vinyl and fiberglass.
- Aluminum windows are strong, versatile, and have thin frames, but they can be less efficient than other window materials.
Consider Energy Efficiency
It’s wise to invest in energy-efficient windows for your new DC, MD, or VA home. They may cost a bit more than ordinary windows, but they:
- Reduce your utility bills
- Benefit the environment
- Improve home comfort
- Protect your belongings from UV rays
You know a window is energy efficient if it is labeled as ENERGY STAR® qualified.
Think About the Design
Many manufacturers allow you to customize your windows with different colors, glass features, grilles, hardware, screens, and more. Consider which of these features you want your windows to have purely for aesthetic purposes.
Find a Window Brand with Products that Meet Your Needs
You may be familiar with some of today’s top window brands, such as Weather Shield and Infinity from Marvin. Research these and other brands to see which ones offer the window styles, materials, efficiency ratings, and designs you’re looking for. Also, consider price differences and satisfaction ratings as you narrow down your options and prepare to make your final choice.
Choose a Qualified Window Installation in DC, MD & VA
Quality Window & Door is a window installer serving customers in the Washington, DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia areas since 1989. As a non-proprietary distributor, we carry top-performance windows from numerous brands to ensure we meet your needs.
Come to us for help making your final window selection. Whether you have your heart set on a particular brand, or you’re willing to compare manufacturers as long as their windows are Energy Star rated, we’ll present you with all your options. Our goal is to educate our customers, not pressure them with hard selling tactics. This way, you know you’ll end up with the perfect windows for your new DC-area home!
Timelapse of Sliding Patio Door Installation
Here's a look at our door installation process!
See our Maryland door installation experts in action with this timelapse video of a recent project!